Combined Yorùbá characters with dot below and tonal diacritics

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Sat Apr 11 16:50:53 CDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 01:19:23AM +0100, Luis de la Orden wrote:
> Thanks for challenging my understanding of dead keys. I have a layout in my
> Mac that works like a charm to write Yorùbá, Portuguese and Spanish with
> the UK layout. I am having trouble with the Windows layout and should have
> mentioned that more clearly. Nevertheless, I was using Microsoft Keyboard
> Layout Creator and assumed that the limitations of the software (or the
> limitations of my knowledge of the software) were the limitations of the
> technology as a whole.

I see no problem with using MSKLC with Yorùbá.  Just make
  AltGr-e,  AltGr-o,  AltGr-s
produce
  e̩,        o̩, and    s̩.
Then make AltGr--, AltGr-' and AltGr-` into prefix keys (deadkeys)
converting characters into accented forms.  IIRC, this would work fine
also with “base keys” producing Unicode clusters (like those above)
(check in the document below).

For details, see the corresponding sections of
   http://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/UI-KeyboardLayout/lib/UI/KeyboardLayout.pm
[I do not think the “standard” keyboard input on Windows is documented
anywhere else :-( ].

Hope this helps,
Ilya