Bidi reordering of soft hyphen

Simon Montagu smontagu at smontagu.org
Wed Apr 2 01:02:08 CDT 2014

On 04/02/2014 02:12 AM, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
> The use of soft hyphen is a cultural matter. In Hebrew, Classic and Israeli,
> soft hyphens are not used.

I don't understand this statement. Classic, yes, but in Israeli Hebrew
soft hyphens typically _are_ used in texts printed in relatively narrow
justified columns -- common examples are newspapers and encyclopædias.

(Or are we using terms differently? In any case, with respect to the
original question about where to position a soft hyphen in a line break
in the middle of a word in an opposite-direction run in bidirectional
text, I believe that it doesn't make a difference whether we are
referring to U+00AD SOFT HYPHEN, a hyphen automatically inserted by
typesetting software, or a hyphen inserted manually).