What is this new chandrabindu for Kannada?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 20:58:44 CST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Dr.U.B. Pavanaja
<pavanaja at vishvakannada.com> wrote:
> I found there is one additional Chandrbindu proposed for Kannada at 0C80.
> Already one chandrabindu has been added to Kannada at 0C81. What is the
> purpose of this new Chandrabindu? Who requested for it?

See http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2014/14153-kannada-chandrabindu.pdf and
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2014/14166-kannada-candrabindu.pdf for
attestations.

> The most important additions needed for Kannada script at present are some
> characters (mostly vowels and vowel signs) needed to write Tulu (and Kodava,
> Byari, Havyaka, etc) language(s) in Kannada script.

See my FYI doc to the UTC re technical problems with Tulu language
orthography in Kannada script:
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2012/12203-kannada-tulu.pdf. Pending actual
feedback from Tulu scholars, however, no characters have been proposed
in this document.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा