What is this new chandrabindu for Kannada?

N. Ganesan naa.ganesan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:43:29 CST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Dr.U.B. Pavanaja <
pavanaja at vishvakannada.com> wrote:

> I was going through the : Draft Additional Repertoire for Amendment 2 to
> ISO/IEC 10646:2014 (4th Edition, Amendment 2)
> <http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15028-n4658-pdam23-charts.pdf>.
>
> I found there is one additional Chandrbindu proposed for Kannada at 0C80.
> Already one chandrabindu has been added to Kannada at 0C81. What is the
> purpose of this new Chandrabindu? Who requested for it?

There are lot of things getting added to Kannada. Especially is the case
for Malayalam block,
all Grantha material, actually glyph variants are getting added. Now
Malayalam has 3 or 4 virama signs.
Kerala folks have not seen an anusvara above sign, and this Grantha sign
will be in Malayalam block.

Soon, Tamil will have an SMP block that has some 50 or so code points, that
are dead signs in the
sense no one uses them (& it is not clear who used them either). Since we
know only one or two
19th century books tabulate them. Nobody has seen its actual usage. Hence
we requested all of these
dead symbols of fractions etc., to be grouped in SMP block.

best,
N. Ganesan