Grammatical features / gender power & prefix derivation

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 2 16:28:04 CST 2021

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 07:04:48 -0800
Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users <cldr-users at unicode.org> wrote:

> That is useful info. We currently have the long form (kilogram) and
> the abbreviation (kg) in different languages. So the most useful
> information would be cases of languages where those two have
> different genders.

Well, when 'kilo' and 'kilogram' have different genders, the gender of
number plus abbreviation is unknown!  The gender differences according
to Wiktionary are:

"kilogram" v. "kilo", masculine inanimate v. neuter: Czech, Polish,

"kilogram" v. "kilo" v. "kilootje", masculine v. common v. neuter: Dutch
(Masculine v. common looks wrong in principle!)

"kilogram" v. "kilo", neuter v. masculine/neuter: Norwegian (both
standards)

"килограмм" v. "кило", masculine inanimate v. neuter: Russian

> Or where the prefixed form has a different gender than the " base
> form ", such as kilogram and gram.

I've been looking, but I've only turned up one example of the
Swahili plural form *vilogramu; the n-/n- noun classing of _kilogramu_
'kilogram' has very little competition.  The word _gramu_ is in the
n-/n- noun class.