Grammatical features / gender power & prefix derivation

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Mar 2 16:47:59 CST 2021

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 2:28 PM Richard Wordingham <
richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 07:04:48 -0800
> Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users <cldr-users at unicode.org> wrote:
>
> > That is useful info. We currently have the long form (kilogram) and
> > the abbreviation (kg) in different languages. So the most useful
> > information would be cases of languages where those two have
> > different genders.
>
> Well, when 'kilo' and 'kilogram' have different genders, the gender of
> number plus abbreviation is unknown!  The gender differences according
> to Wiktionary are:

We appear to be talking past one another. We don't support "kilo" (as a
separate term, or as an abbreviation for "kilogram" or other kilo-units),
so your statement "when 'kilo' and 'kilogram' have different genders" is
not relevant to CLDR currently. (It could be in the future, but I'd like to
clearly distinguish current from future capabilities.)

> "kilogram" v. "kilo", masculine inanimate v. neuter: Czech, Polish,
>

> "kilogram" v. "kilo" v. "kilootje", masculine v. common v. neuter: Dutch
> (Masculine v. common looks wrong in principle!)
>
> "kilogram" v. "kilo", neuter v. masculine/neuter: Norwegian (both
> standards)
>
> "килограмм" v. "кило", masculine inanimate v. neuter: Russian
>
> > Or where the prefixed form has a different gender than the " base
> > form ", such as kilogram and gram.
>
> I've been looking, but I've only turned up one example of the
> Swahili plural form *vilogramu; the n-/n- noun classing of _kilogramu_
> 'kilogram' has very little competition.  The word _gramu_ is in the
> n-/n- noun class.

That sounds useful, but I couldn't quite parse what you were saying. Do you
mean that the word for gram is in the
n-/n- noun class and the word for kilogram is not?