Japanese plurals

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Wed Dec 1 19:04:24 CST 2021

Nobody is proposing that. If the language *doesn't* *require* a different
message for "abc {0} def" when {0} is "1" vs when {0} is "2" (for example),
then we would not distinguish 'one' from 'other'.

Note that this need not result in an increase in CLDR data; one thing that
we've done with the grammar data is to add scope parameters, so that we can
limit the data we collect to what is needed. So I'd already been thinking
about applying that to plural rules. That way, for example, if currencies
are invariant in the language (wrt plural categories) as they are in
Japanese, we set the scope to exclude anything but 'other' from data
gathering.

Mark