Japanese plurals

Edwin Hoogerbeets ehoogerbeets at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:49:44 CST 2021

Actually, I meant for Japanese specifically. I was not suggesting to
modify the rules for any other languages.

The plural rules in common/supplemental/plurals.xml state that Japanese
belongs to a group of languages that only supports the "other" category.
Based on the example, I thought maybe we should consider moving it to
the group of languages (along with English!) where it supports both the
"one" and the "other" categories where "one" means "exactly 1" and
"other" is everything else. For most Japanese phrases, there would be no
difference between the "one" and "other" string, but for strings with
demonstratives in them, there could be.

Mark, I will file a jira and the committee can consider it.

Thanks!

Edwin