Japanese plurals

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:00:49 CST 2021

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> That's not our principle for the plural categories. In many languages the
> contents of 'one' are already exactly 1.
>
> If the language really *requires* a different message for "abc {0} def"
> when {0} is "1" vs when {0} is "2", then we need two plural categories
> where one of them contains 1 (at least) and the other contains 2 (at least).

Except that we have the =1 mechanism for this specific case.

My point is, surely Chinese and French and lots of other languages have
words and phrases specific to an exact singular, but I don't think we want
to split plural keyword "one" for every language to turn it into a keyword
equivalent of =1.

markus