Japanese plurals

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:41:31 CST 2021

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 3:36 PM Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> The CLDR plural rules are intended for any instance where the change in a
> number requires a change in a message; in some languages changes are
> required in verbs, or in references. So it appears that this is an example
> of where Japanese rules may require changes.
>
> The suggestion that Markus is recommending is a good workaround for the
> issue that you have, but we should consider whether to change the plural
> rules.

I would think that in most languages there is some special wording for
exactly-number-1, like in both the English and Japanese examples in this
thread.
What you are suggesting amounts to making sure that the plural rules for
every language have a plural keyword for that.
I would rather we keep recommending =1.

markus