Could Unicode deliver the level of paleographic detail needed for encoding ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 7 12:56:09 CST 2024

I know hardly anything about the structure of SVG and XML so I cannot
comment on any perceived similarities to what I have written.

Peter Constable wrote:

> While perhaps interesting as a thought experiment, I don’t think
> you’ll get much interest unless you can provide compelling reasons why
> yet another format is needed.

What happened was that I was looking throuh the UTC Current Document
Register and I had a look at the document mentioned in the first post in
this thread.

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2024/24045-ancient-egyptian-rotations.pdf

I saw the statement in the conclusions "and suggest a level of
palaeographic detail that Unicode cannot deliver."

It occurred to me that Unicode could possibly deliver that level of
palaeographic detail if a subset of the system that I had written about
in a chapter of my first novel, with the addition of a Gr command for
Glyph rotation, were implemented using Unicode tag characters. (I later
added a Gm comand for Glyph mirroring horizontally.)

So I wrote about my opinion and posted in this mailing list. Some of us
are having a discussion and maybe some other people are also reading the
thread.

I would be pleased if people are interested and maybe, just maybe, what
I have written may some day help in the encoding of palaeographic detail
in Unicode, but if there is no interest, then there we are. I have no
expertise in Egyptology. My research interests are in other topics.

> In any case, what you’re discussing is a higher-level protocol than
> Unicode.

I am thinking here of tag characters being used in a Unicode plain text
environment to add capability to what can be encoded in Unicode. Tag
characters are used to encode The Welsh Flag.

> _Unicode_ will not be delivering this any time soon.

I have suggested an additional way to encode palaeographic detail in a
Unicode plain text environment. The method is available free to use if
people want to apply it.

William Overington

Thursday 7 March 2024