Solution for Extended Tamil

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 22 16:32:13 CST 2024

On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:18:12 +0000
James Kass via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> On 2024-01-22 8:07 PM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:

>  > Where do you get this 'non-reordering' property from?
>
> The canonical comb. class = 0, which means non-reordering.

Most Indic VOWEL SIGNs E have ccc=0 and are left matras and are not
'logical order exceptions', so surely they are re-ordering!

The only canonical combining class connected with reordering at all is
ccc=Left, for which the only characters are Hangul dot tone marks.

> Note that in the text quoted earlier from
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Module:sa-convert/testcases/Tamil it
> is said that "most forms of Extended Tamil...".  This suggests that
> there are other conventions which place the superscript digits
> elsewhere.  If, as suspected, an existing convention places the
> superscript digit at the end of the syllable, then the /de facto/
> encoding sequence and default display might well be totally
> acceptable to the user community.

I too misinterpreted that that way.  It was, however, referring to the
'V-I' system, where what appear to be Latin superscript and subcript
letters are suffixed to the CV-unit.  Critically, they're not digits.