Solution for Extended Tamil

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Mon Jan 22 15:18:12 CST 2024

On 2024-01-22 8:07 PM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:

 > Using GPOS for re-ordering seems to be a nightmare.

Which is why I didn't try it here.  You have more experience with modern
typography tools than I do, so I would defer to your better judgment for
possible approaches.

 > Where do you get this 'non-reordering' property from?

The canonical comb. class = 0, which means non-reordering.

Note that in the text quoted earlier from
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Module:sa-convert/testcases/Tamil it is
said that "most forms of Extended Tamil...".  This suggests that there
are other conventions which place the superscript digits elsewhere.  If,
as suspected, an existing convention places the superscript digit at the
end of the syllable, then the /de facto/ encoding sequence and default
display might well be totally acceptable to the user community.