Ecma-48 proposed styling controls update updated & math expression representation proposal update

Kent Karlsson kent.b.karlsson at bahnhof.se
Sat Jan 6 16:32:19 CST 2024

Skickat från min iPhone

> 6 jan. 2024 kl. 21:02 skrev Steffen Nurpmeso via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org>:
>
> Kent Karlsson via Unicode wrote in
> <472640BF-538B-4531-9D58-3FC8D0BCD97B at bahnhof.se>:
> |> 6 jan. 2024 kl. 00:09 skrev Steffen Nurpmeso via Unicode <unicode at corp.u\
> |> nicode.org>:
> |>
> |> Kent Karlsson via Unicode wrote in
> |>|

> |> Last i looked (i downloaded it on July 21st last year) the new
> |> OSC-8 that is now in even wider use than last year (the new GNU
> |> groff ships with native support for generating IDs, and the Linux
> |> manual maintainer was eager to use that feature) was not
> |> incorporated.  I'll attach it, maybe it is of interest.
>
> |Note that hyperlinks are out of scope for my proposal.
> |
> |But “ordinary” text editors are in scope, not just terminal emulators.
>
> Oh then i misunderstood.  I thought you wanted to update what was
> ECMA-48 over thirty years ago to include what happened ever since.
> (Anticipating that a "regular" update will not happen, to cite you
> more or less correctly.)

True, I do not expect any “regular” update.

I do not attempt to cover “everything”. That was never a goal. The “styling” proposal covers, well, (text) styling. Usable also for styled text documents, not limited to terminal emulators.

I have an early draft regarding keyboard input stuff (and ECMA-48). And that is for terminal emulators only… When I get time, I will work more on that. (Still not covering “everything”.)

/Kent K

Ps
The math expression representation proposal is not related to ECMA-48.