What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 17 19:52:40 CST 2024

On 2/17/2024 5:35 PM, James Kass via Unicode wrote:

> On 2024-02-17 11:26 PM, Freek Dijkstra via Unicode wrote:
>> I almost get the feeling that Unicode has overlooked a (small)
>> category of these symbols, and only included the English ones. Sadly,
>> my knowledge of those other symbols is limited, so I can only make a
>> proposal for the Flourish of Approval. But just to check: Unicode
>> codepoints represent a glyph, not a meaning, right? So the English ✓
>> and Swedish ✓ have the same codepoint, even though their meaning is
>> different?
>
> Unicode encodes characters rather than glyphs.  Please see
> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr17/tr17-3.html for more information,
> specifically section 2.1 for illustrations.  The check mark (✓) has
> one code point because of convention:  there was no distinction
> between Swedish and English usage of the mark in pre-existing
> character sets.
The exception might be where some local convention uses both a check
mark and some other shape in alternation. In such cases, there may be an
argument in favor of considering the other shape a different symbol
instead of implausibly suggesting that the check mark now has a range of
acceptable glyph variations that includes the other shape (which would
come as a surprise to most users of the existing check mark ...).

> The Unicode repertoire might be perceived as favoring English symbols,
> but we need to keep in mind that the original goal of Unicode was to
> standardize existing character sets into a universal encoding which
> would serve everyone.  Many of those existing character sets were
> developed by English speaking users, hence the possible appearance of
> favoritism.  Likewise, an even larger batch of those existing
> character sets were developed by “Westerners”, which can give the
> appearance of favoritism to non-Western users. But over time, many
> non-English and non-Western characters have been added to the Unicode
> repertoire because somebody took the time and made the effort to
> submit an encoding proposal and escort it through the approval process.

I agree, there's every reason to identify cases where Unicode lacks a
way for expressing a local written convention, even outside standard
orthographic writing. We definitely should not - as a matter of
principle - rule out local equivalents to widely used marks, just
because the others are either used in English or have become global.

The symbol discussed here is in much more wide-spread and active use
than many of the dead alphabets being added; even if it never becomes
popular outside the Netherlands.

A./