What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 17 19:32:46 CST 2024

Remember, this list is just an informal discussions that might give you
ideas on how to argue the case for encoding and what likely objections
you may encounter. It otherwise carries no weight and while it's
archived, it's not something anyone would turn to in making decisions.

That said.

The cited discussion on SE shows that that there are reasonable
scenarios where this is used as a symbol/punctuation in text. That it
would also be "letter-like", that is, derived from a letter shape, makes
a case for encoding this as a symbol with text representation.

The standalone use on logos makes me wonder whether, should it be
available, Dutch users would use it as an emoji (e.g. in text messages).
It can easily be argued from the evidence already shared, that (1) Dutch
users would readily recognize it (2) there's a desire to not only have
it in text, but also, at times to have it stand out and act as a full
statement of its own, very analogous to a check mark with emoji
presentation.

I would counsel to not view this as an either / or. Perhaps persuing
this as a standard (text presentation) symbol at first, and then later
explore whether it falls in the small range of iconic symbols that exist
in both text and emoji form -- with the check mark being the obvious analog.

The evidence presented in form of the safety inspection sticker makes
the case that this symbol has acquired a generalized use that is not
limited to marking student papers. That may have been the origin, but it
should not limit UTC in taking into account its apparently much broader
use.

While the solution presented in the context of the TeX SE works well for
TeX / LaTeX, it doesn't work in general typesetting. This would not be
the first time that Unicode encodes a symbol that (instead of a PUA
font) has first been created as a special TeX macro. That would be
useful to point out. Having a macro that creates an outline on the fly
is very different from placing a bitmap or other picture in running
text. It definitely has parallels to creating outlines that you access
with a PUA code - except that the detour via PUA isn't needed in TeX
because TeX natively supports named (user defined) macros.

A./