Use of tag characters in a private encoding - is it valid please?

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Fri Apr 26 21:39:44 CDT 2024

On 4/26/2024 4:00 PM, William_J_G Overington via Unicode wrote:

> May I ask please, Is it valid to use a sequence of tag characters
> ending in a cancel tag in a private use encoding of characters if the
> base character of the sequence is a Private Use Area character?

Of course. Just do not expect to be able to interchange your intent
reliably, unless you get widespread public agreement about your use both
of the PUA characters and your conventions for use of the tag
characters. Otherwise, it is likely the person you communicate with will
just see: *□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□*

As an example, I would be perfectly within my rights to try to convey
today's date, April 26, 2024 with the following Unicode string:

òóòòòòòòò òòòòòòòòò òóòòòòòòò òòòóòòòòò òòòòòòòòò òòòóòòòòò òòóòòòòòò
òòòòòóòòò

Perfectly conformant to the Unicode Standard. However, I expect that I
would have difficulty convincing other people to use that convention to
interchange dates, instead of the string "April 26, 2024" or
"2024-04-26" or some similar, already established convention for the
formatting of dates. On the bright side, at least they wouldn't be
seeing a string of uninterpretable character boxes. ;-)

--Ken