Can we discuss the possibility of abstract symbols to be used with emoji please?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 23 11:39:02 CDT 2023

Gabriel Tellez wrote:

> You made those symbols yourself, no?

I thought of having such symbols, thought of designs for the symbols,
produced electronic images of the designs using the Affinity Designer
software program, suggested the code numbers so that they can be used.
They are Open Source in the hope that they will become used.

This research is at an early stage. I needed to start somewhere. The
symbols are now published and a method to apply them has been suggested.
Is it art? Is it technology? Is it useful? Can the symbols convey
meaning effectively, including through the language barrier? Will
someone study them as applied art?

Maybe one day the symbols and the meaning of each will become encoded in
The Unicode Standard. That will need the symbols to become widely used
by people other than the person who devised them.

Maybe one day they will be displayed at MoMA, the Museum of Modern Art
in New York.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/emoji_installation_at_MoMA.htm

There are some other symbols that I have devised, listed from the
following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/mariposa_novel.htm

They too each have a code that I have assigned to them, so they can be
used now if people choose to use them.

Maybe other people will devise such abstract symbols and assign meanings
too. It would be interesting to observe if symbols by various people can
be used together, how various researchers interact.

William Overington

Saturday 23 March 2023