Unicode philosophy - technical symbols

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Oct 26 12:40:32 CDT 2023

Additionally, emoji — for all my longstanding concerns about them — are very deliberately intended to appear alongside, and as an integral part of, plain text.

Egyptian hieroglyphs were very much a natural-language writing system, every bit as much as Latin or Greek letters are today. Frankly, I’m troubled that anyone would cite them as a precedent for encoding technical symbols.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org