Odp: Why is (vv) -> (w) not amongst the Confusables?

Giacomo Catenazzi cate at cateee.net
Wed Nov 29 03:01:52 CST 2023

On 29 Nov 2023 09:30, Rebecca Bettencourt via Unicode wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 11:44 PM Giacomo Catenazzi via Unicode
> <unicode at corp.unicode.org <mailto:unicode at corp.unicode.org>> wrote:
>
>     Confusable is a very important property for security (phishing,
>     scamming, etc.), and it is important also because it is used by non
>     "Unicode" people. Other properties of Unicode may requires some
>     knowledge of Unicode standard/book and so scripts and language
>     difference, but confusable should be usable by people without deep
>     knowledge of e.g. Cyrillic or Indic scripts.
>

> Back in the day I witnessed so many schoolmates being phished by r n y
> space login . com. So much that I'm almost convinced it's what led to r
> n → m being added to the confusables list in the first place.

Right. I needed to look for it. Comic Sans doesn't have such problem
(one positive point for it), but many other of Microsoft fonts of that
time have such problem, especially if we precede it with the slashes:
"//rny". But looking on Google Fonts site, it seems now it is not more a
problem.

Do the font designers have some list of such tricky sequences?

cate