Why missing characters and empty code points?

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Thu May 25 14:33:37 CDT 2023

On 2023-05-25 5:24 PM, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> What you probably are looking for is some sort of interactive code chart, such that when you hover over a reserved cell, you can see applicable cross-reference information. But the Unicode organization has tried very hard to get people to understand that Unicode is more than just the code charts. You would be better served, if you have questions about how things work in Unicode or why there are “missing characters and empty code points,” to make yourself familiar with the Unicode Character Database (https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/).

Practically every discipline has its own jargon and backstory, including
Unicode and genomics.  This can be rather daunting to any newcomer.

If I was tasked with sequencing Brassocattleyas Calypso, I'd be both
lost at sea and up a creek, in spite of the incongruity.  Who should be
consulted for that?  A metallurgist, a cowboy, a musician, or a
florist?  Fortunately we have on-line discussion groups to point us in
the right direction.

I suspect that the field of genomics employs needed Unicode characters
in order to store and exchange data in a standard text encoding format.
As such, experts in that field would need to have access to the proper
tools, but the nitty-gritty nuts-and-bolts of Unicode might not be apparent.

As Doug Ewell pointed out, Unicode is far more than its code charts.
This really needs to be emphasized whenever an opportunity arises.