The conflicting needs of emoji

Adib Behjat abehjat at apple.com
Fri Oct 14 17:28:55 CDT 2022

I second Mark’s sentiment and really like the suggestion. I also do think it would be wiser if this process was handled and managed by OSs/Apps versus Unicode.

After reading Mark’s suggestion, I was reminded of a game where you combine basic/generic elements to create more complex elements (e.g. https://littlealchemy.com/ <https://littlealchemy.com/>).

For example, if someone wants to generate “Physics Teacher”, a user can type in their device:
🧑‍🏫⚛️

And based on this combination, the OS/App can give the user the option to generate a custom avatar to represent Physics Teacher. With regards to rendering, tools like DALL-E (or other similar diffusion models) can enable this capability. In addition, this process will help encourage the introduction of more generic emoji characters to help expand the foundational building blocks for these tools.