what is the purpose of U+2012 ?

Cristian Secară liste at secarica.ro
Sat Nov 26 16:51:24 CST 2022

I can not find a place that describes at least a generic purpose of the U+2012 (figure dash) character. What is/was its purpose at the time it was introduced ? I am aware and/or can find a reason for a lot of other "dashes", but not about this one.

These are other dashes that I can explain their purpose or even use frequently a few of them:

U+002D (hyphen-minus)
U+00AD (soft hyphen)
U+2010 (hyphen)
U+2011 (non-breaking hyphen)
U+2013 (en dash)
U+2014 (em dash)
U+2015 (horizontal bar)
U+2043 (hyphen bullet)
U+2212 (minus sign)

What is U+2012 for ? The term "figure" means nothing to me (but forgive the ignorance if might be otherwise obvious).

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro