Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Mar 13 18:54:49 CDT 2022

Richard Wordingham wrote:

>> The script is already registered in ISO 363.
>
> Scrub that.  It's in the ISO 15924 register, but I don't know how it
> got there.

I was wondering what textile machinery and accessories had to do with any of this.

Both Tengwar and Cirth (and also Klingon) were listed in preliminary draft 15924 documents compiled by Michael Everson in 1997 and 1998. As with characters that were present in Unicode 1.0, there were probably no formal criteria or vetting process for inclusion in those documents of any script, thus no definitive way to know how any of them got there.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org