Unicode expert group for international text in source code

Tom Honermann tom at honermann.net
Thu Mar 3 15:24:54 CST 2022

Hi, Mark and Markus.

I received the announcement about the new Unicode group that will be
investigating problems and solutions relating to international text in
programming languages.

I currently chair the ISO WG21 SG16 study group focused on C++ Unicode
and text programming. A subset of WG21 recently agreed to pursue
addressing "Trojan Source"-like problems within WG21; probably in the
form of a technical report. This was in response to a paper that was
submitted to WG21; P2528R0 (C++ Identifier Security using Unicode
Standard Annex 39) <https://wg21.link/p2528r0>. (The paper needs some
significant work before it will be ready for further review within WG21;
it is a difficult read at present). Thus, some subset of WG21 will be
working on guidance and recommendations for C++ implementors and I would
like to ensure that such efforts are aligned with the new Unicode group.

Please let me know how I might apply to join the group and what
requirements or expectations might exist.

Tom.