Tai Tham Text Encoding

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 24 19:21:13 CDT 2022

On Sun, 24 Jul 2022 16:42:44 -0700
Markus Scherer via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 9:16 AM Richard Wordingham via Unicode <
> unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:
>
> > In summary, my main two questions are:
> >
> > Is 'encoding of text' the correct phrase for the definition of the
> > correct arrangement?
>

> It sounds reasonable, but will be easily confused with what are
> otherwise called "charsets" and "code pages" etc.
> It seems like we have a term for what you are after, but I can't put
> my finger on it right now :-)
>
> Is it appropriate to submit a proposal for the
> > standardisation of Tai Tham text encoding?

Perhaps "standardisation of Tai Tham string encoding"?  I'm not
entirely sure, because 'string' implies that one already has a linear
arrangement, but I am talking of how to select that string (more
precisely a trace, because of canonical equivalence), and the question
is the amount of zigzagging.  "String selection" might be technically
correct, but could be taken as meaning 'choice of words'.  Perhaps
"standardisation of Tai Tham character sequencing", but that suggests
visual orthographic rules.