Hoefler Text Ornaments

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Sat Jul 23 17:07:17 CDT 2022

In 11309-apple-resp-n4127, John H. Jenkins wrote,
"Apple feels that, absent evidence of widespread use, dingbats and
similar glyphs are not suitable for general-purpose encoding."

and

"Apple feels that, in general, characters should be encoded in the Universal
Character Set only on the basis of demonstrated need for general text
interchange."

In N4127, Karl Pentzlin noted that no effort was made to determine
unification with existing characters, even in cases where unification
was obvious.  For example, Hoefler Glyph 57 "ORN-FLEURDELIS" is shown in
N4127 with a pointer to U+269C (⚜).  So some of the Hoefler ornaments
are already exchangeable in Unicode.

Apple didn't forbid future encoding of Hoefler ornaments, but rather
keeps the existing bar of demonstrable usage in place.

Any proposal to complete the Hoefler repertoire in Unicode would need to
carefully examine unification and then show that plain-text interchange
is necessary.