Repertoire

Joao S. O. Bueno gwidion at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:09:27 CST 2022

>    I was also wondering idly if anyone has any practical uses for the
> legacy computing characters, specifically the ones with "BLOCK DIAGONAL" in
> the name. They look tantalisingly as though they must be good for
> something, but I don't know what it could be—

I have those on my roadmap.  :-)
I am author to the "terminedia" framework for Unicode Art and terminal
based applications -
the code enables one to use a drawing API to draw with characters, anyone,
but including
full block (\U2588) as pixels, and then uses 1/4 block characters for "hi
resolution",
with each character block being able to convey 4 pixels. There is a hackish
mode
with braille characters, with 8 pixels/block, and, few months after the
legacy
computer characters were added and generally available, I added support
for the 1/6 block sextant characters as a drawing mode.

The other legacy characters currenntly have no better support in the
project than most emojis - but the "BLOCK DIAGONAL" in specific are
in my roadmap: when I get to implement the "1/2 pixel per block" drawing
mode,
taking two character blocks per "pixel", I will add a transform to fill in
corners
with the appropriate "BLOCK DIAGONAL" characters to make curves
"smooth'.

I use a similar approach for using the line/table drawing characters now
("HEAVY QUADRUPLE DASH *", for example): one draws boxes and lines
with fullblocks, apply a transform, and have the characters replaced by
the apropriate frame drawing chars.

Unfortunately, I am not getting a lot of time to put in the project
over the last few months, and I am currently in the task of
improving the usability of the text-based widgets, so that
the project can be used for real-world apps.

The project is at
https://github.com/jsbueno/terminedia
 the main gap is documentation. It installs along with
some example scripts, and there is a separate project that uses
it, and can be used to draw interactively on the terminal using the above
mentioned "pixel" modes -
https://github.com/jsbueno/terminedia-paint

(installable with `pip3 install --user terminedia-paint`, currently no
Windows support,
and on MacOS it needs a terminal program that supports full color ANSI
codes. )

And finally - yes, I'd also greatly appreciate proper responses for your
main query -
as being able to introspect the full unicode charset and make developers
life
easier when dealing with Unicode is one of the project's missions.