Recording accurately a person's name

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 14 08:59:48 CST 2022

There was recently a Public Review.

434 CLDR Person Name Formatting

I sent in a response. My response and the result of reviewing by the
subcommittee is available as follows.

https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-15263

However, it appears, from the response, that many of the issues that I
mentioned are for implementers of software that use the standard.

The issue of some (though not all) people and organizations deciding to
only use the first two initials of someone's given names, so, for
example, with a name with three initials before the surname deciding to
only use the first two when typing a letter from a longhand draft or
replying to a letter goes back to before the widespread use of computers
that exists today.

So, I write here, to a mailing list that is read by many people who
implement software systems that include Unicode in some way, to ask
please that when it comes to designing software that the widespread
concept of only allowing for one "middle initial" is discontinued so
that people with more than two given names are listed according to their
name and not by some edited version of it that may, in fact, be the name
of another person.

It seems to me that an application program needs a field that will
accept more than one letter.

Also, when producing an address label, or an insurance certificate, or
whatever, to not assume or action that only the first character of the
given2 field is needed to be printed.

Also, a related issue, please allow for Name on Card for credit card and
debit card transactions to be entered manually rather than deducing it
from name data and presenting it in a "greyed-out cannot be altered"
field, because Name on Card may or may not have a honorific and may have
a combination of names in full and initials that is not congruently
deducible from the data.

With this new standard being produced, the opportunity to get away from
the widespread name truncation practice exists, please take the
opportunity to do so.

Thank you.

William J. G. Overington

Monday 14 February 2022