My suggestions for Unicode based math expression format(s)

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 26 14:13:35 CST 2022

On 12/26/2022 9:10 AM, Kent Karlsson via Unicode wrote:
> I understand the metaphor. That does not mean that I have to like that formulation…
>
> /K
>
> Skickat från min iPhone
>
>> 26 dec. 2022 kl. 16:47 skrev James Kass via Unicode<unicode at corp.unicode.org>:
>>

>>> On 2022-12-26 3:10 PM, Kent Karlsson via Unicode wrote:
>>> So while I’m not keen on referring to math expression representation formats as “mouse traps”,
>> For anyone unfamiliar with this idiomatic usage, it derives from the saying "build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door".
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_a_better_mousetrap,_and_the_world_will_beat_a_path_to_your_door

No matter the metaphor used, the underlying issue stands: Whatever the
perceived shortcomings of existing solutions, they represent investment
by implementers and users alike.

Anything new will by definition be incompatible with existing practice
(which is initially on the minus side of the ledger). To get people to
accept a new solution requires that a significant enough number will see
the promised benefits (positive side) as large enough to warrant
investment into adoption and implementation.

That was no different from the situation Unicode was in when it was
invented as a new technology to overcome the shortcomings of existing
solutions.

You may be correct that your solution has advantages. I'm not a in good
position to evaluate that, because I'm not a user of any of the existing
solutions (although I have used LaTeX in the past, and have a working
knowledge of mathematical notation). The same is true, if more so, for
most people currently active in the Unicode space. They are not the
community that would be using a new mathematical notation, or even uses
existing ones.

A./