Burmese Rendering on Kindle

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 30 03:15:39 CDT 2022

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 00:49:05 +0000
James Kass via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> In the code charts, both are shown with a little solid dot in the
> middle.  I was wondering if there should be a distinction between
> them. (Trying to update my fonts.)
>
> But I think you've answered my question.  I'll just replace the solid
> dots in U+1050 and U+1051 with little circles in the middle.
> Hopefully that will work out...

That may be inauthentic, in so far as the Tai Laing character is
'authentic'.  U+1050 and U+1051 are PA and GA with a diacritic,
necessary since the sibilant's glyphs started merging with PA and GA
and seen across many Indic scripts.  U+A9FD is PA with a
systematic diacritic, forging extra letters needed for Pali from an
authentic Shan base alphabet.  I'm not sure that there is any real need
to distinguish the two diacritics.