global password strategies

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 18 08:34:11 CDT 2022

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> There might be something to this.  Some semi-standardized set of
> keyboard layouts and input methods that can be immediately and
> temporarily activated in nearly any state of the computer, by a
> well-known keystroke or menu or whatever, ...

How about

CONTROL 7

for activating from a keyboard,

and by clicking the logo as in the attached graphics file for activating
by clicking a logo on a start up screen.

The use of CONTROL 7 would be capable of being extended to clicking on

CONTROL (the digit for 7 in any script)

I appreciate that if a language uses a different set of letters from
those used for English yet uses the same set of digit glyphs as does
English then something extra is needed.

> so you need to know how to type your password in *one* of them and how
> to select it, and then you can just click it out on an emulated
> keyboard onscreen (or better, have the keyboard actually remap
> itself.)

Yes, always getting the emoji keyboard and another keyboard. Perhaps the
other keyboard could be changed by clicking on a flag from amongst a
display of flags.

> Kind of tricky to get the details right and decide on what and how and
> all;

Yes.

> the market and vendors will probably have to converge

Yes.

> (slowly)

Well, if CONTROL 7 and my suggested logo are used to get started, either
or both could be retained or replaced as consensus emerges, and using
CONTROL 7 and my suggested logo is independent of each of the vendors,
so a level start for trying to reach a consensus, so a possibility for a
prompt start.

> on some consensus.

Yes.

>  No, Unicode can't dictate this as a standard,

Well, I don't think that Unicode Inc. *dictates* anything does it.

> it's out of scope for Unicode,

For people to use a computer system to produce, say, stories and poems
in their own language using Unicode and safely conserve them on a shared
system, the people need to be able to get onto the computer system. So
for me, a standardized, though optional, way to conveniently enter a
password into a computer in order to be able to apply Unicode to
produce, say, stories and poems, is part of the goal of helping people
to use their own language on computer systems.

But it is not a matter for me to decide whether it is or is not in scope
for Unicode Inc. to be involved in publishing a password entry format
for computer systems.

But anyway, if Unicode Inc. were to take this topic on then it would
probably help it become implemented much faster than it would otherwise
be implemented, if indeed it ever would be implemented otherwise.

> and pretty much every other standards organization too:

I don't know one way or the other.

> there is no standard dictating user interface.  Just some popular
> conventions that have become fairly universal.

Well some of user interface is product styling, so not for standardizing
at all.

So, thank you for your input, progress is being made as we iterate
towards a solution.

William Overington

Monday 18 April 2022