AW: Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 23 13:49:06 CDT 2021

Note that Microsoft provided a pIqaD version of the Bing translator as part of the Klingon translation, using the PUA conscript codepoints.  It was ‘my’ font, though it was also available for free.  It was up for years, though as developers working on it moved it isn’t currently up.  But Microsoft had an agreement 😊  (I know there are translation quality issues, that’s out of my control).

There was a brief conversation of the encoding at that time, but, like Mark’s efforts, it didn’t really get to the right people to sign off.

I do think that Mark makes some good points about the current language of the rejection perhaps being a bit off-putting for any future discussions should someone be able to contact the right person at Paramount.  IMO, perhaps it would be good to formally propose it again, and get a rejection that explicitly notes the primary concern is around the IP.  And hopefully doesn’t otherwise impugn the worthiness of the proposal.

-Shawn