Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Thu Sep 16 05:54:51 CDT 2021

"Klingon" is an English word and can be found in many on-line 
dictionaries.  But if the word "Klingon" raises IP concerns, call it 
something else.

The glyphs used in fonts I've seen all seem to be closely based on the 
highly stylized glyphs used in film/TV.  As such, maybe it's another IP 
concern.  So use a different font in the proposals and charts, like in a 
different style, based on the distinctive shapes and strokes.  Maybe 
something cursive or hand lettered with a pen or brush instead of 
whatever implement was used to make those original, highly stylized glyphs.

Run this by Unicode's legal and leave CBS/Paramount out of the loop.  If 
Unicode's legal can find any other potential IP issues, list them and 
let the proposers address them.

More information about the Unicode mailing list