AW: Breaking barriers

James Kass jameskasskrv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:11:08 CDT 2021

On 2021-10-21 9:41 AM, Dreiheller, Albrecht via Unicode wrote:
> Without understanding the context, Live Translate won't have a good chance to find the right translation.
> Machine translation often only pretends to know the meaning but in fact it fails.
> I'm not worried about human translators.
They may be safe in the short-term.  Machine translation is much, much
better than it was at the onset.  I recall translating a German web page
about the Phaistos disk into English and the page title was translated
as "The Discotheques of Phaistos".  (That was a foreshadowing of what to
expect in the article, which was amusing to read through.)  Even before
machine translation, translations could be humorous.  A French speaking
friend once told me that the French title of a certain Steinbeck novel
could translate back into English as "The Raisins of Anger".

The web page of Google Translate offers an option for the end user to
contribute suggestions for improving the specific translation. This
would be expected to make the machine translations better over time.  If
this option is also offered in Live Translate, which travels around town
in pockets and purses and accepts source material from more than
plain-text, wouldn't that expedite machine translation improvement?

And what will happen when AI is added to the mix?