Encoding ConScripts

Hans Åberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Tue Oct 12 12:17:37 CDT 2021

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 18:53, Sławomir Osipiuk via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:11 PM Hans Åberg <haberg-1 at telia.com> wrote:
>>
>> It is very different, cf. the IPA I gave.
>
> I'm questioning the IPA you gave.
>
> I had a look through my printed dictionary and it unfortunately
> doesn't include "neography" but I found two distinct patterns anyway.

Clearly not, as it is a newly invented word we discuss suggestions for pronunciation of.

> The first has the initial vowel sound in Neo (from the Matrix),
> neoprene, and geodesic. These are all the same.
>
> The second has the vowel sound of neologism, geography, and in my
> view, neography. These are all the same.
>
> You seem to be saying that neography should belong to the first group.
> I don't agree. It falls very naturally into the second group.

Language is not logical. There are words deriving from "neo-", Ancient Greek νεῖος, "new", with primary stress both on it and the following syllable. However, in "neoprene" there is only one syllable in "-prene", and in "neodymimum" there are two in "-dymimum". Perhaps this is a reason for different stress—linguists might detail.

The word "neologism" however comes from French "néologisme", which might explain why it gets a different stress, like "geography" which also comes from French, "géographie".