Powerline symbols?

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Mon Oct 11 17:45:25 CDT 2021

The so-called "Powerline symbols" seem to have become practically an
industry standard in coding fonts.  At least some of them (the "branch"
symbol has become very popular, it seems).  I don't know the source of
them, why they're called that, etc; you can google as well as I can (and
probably some of you actually already know.)
https://awesomeopensource.com/project/ryanoasis/powerline-extra-symbols
is a page that showed up in my googling, for example.  Is there a reason
_not_ to encode these?  Are they copyrighted or something? Or is it just
a matter of needing a proposal?

~mark