Arabic for South Sudan languages

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Mon Oct 11 03:06:26 CDT 2021

On 2021-10-11 7:27 AM, David Starner via Unicode wrote:
> What's natural? Half of the Latin and Cyrilic blocks are because some
> government declared "okay, we're all writing in Latin or Cyrillic
> today" and had the change made for minority languages. A huge amount
> of language and writing system change came at the point of the sword
> or gun. There's quite a few characters created by Soviet committees,
> who did a lot of languages in Latin then in Cyrillic due to political
> changes in the Soviet Union, and these are now encoded, even for
> reforms that changed direction after five or ten years. These
> characters seem quite similar; they're newer, but they're still
> historical characters included for recording historical texts.

Coercion is despicable, but historic text preservation is essential.
Denying or burying unpleasant aspects of our collective heritage denies
our peoples the opportunity to learn from past mistakes.  Were we to
impose value judgments based on script origin (be it from a military
dictatorship or a deity), we'd risk passing along inaccurate and
incomplete data to future historians, if any.

(This is moot if Unicode's coverage of these orthographies has no gaps.)