Encoding ConScripts

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Fri Oct 8 23:42:28 CDT 2021

On 2021-10-08 6:08 PM, William_J_G Overington via Unicode wrote:
> Allowing abstract emoji could open up great possibilities. I have
> already designed some abstract emoji for personal pronouns, colourful,
> language-independent, clearly distinct each from the others yet within
> a related design framework.

Anyone approaching Unicode with proposed new characters needs to point
to existing use.  (Excluding emoji and items such as new currency
symbols or era names.)

Anyone designing new glyphs for personal pronouns is not creating
“emoji”, but rather is inventing a ConScript.  Most of us know that
there’s a registry for ConScripts using the PUA.  So it would be
necessary to assign PUA code points, generate a font, make the font
generally available, publicize it, and hope it catches on.

That seems to be the only clear path to Unicoding novel characters. If
the PUA material usage reaches some kind of critical mass, someone would
draft a proposal to Unicode.

That could be perceived as a “high bar”.  But it’s quite reasonable and
realistic.  And it’s not insurmountable.  And once that critical mass
has been achieved, such glyphs would be on-topic for this forum.