Is there an emoji for Thank you

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Fri Oct 8 12:30:35 CDT 2021

On 10/8/2021 9:55 AM, Mark Davis ☕ (<-- identity signalling emoji) via
Unicode wrote:
> IMO this thread is pointless.
Well, not completely. 😉
> We don't encode emoji for a concept that doesn't have a clear
> pictorial representation.

Which explains why we have an emoji for "price tag" but not one for
"price support", for example.

But in addition to clearly pictographic emoji (which then get used to
convey whatever associated connotations folks might connect with them),
there are many emoji which convey emotions or other affective
expressions through association with gestures, hand shapes and, of
course, facial expressions. 😂 That aspect of emoji use constitutes a
kind of minimal, abstracted sign language for the masses.

And what the "thank you" thread then devolves to, IMO, is whether there
are some very widely recognized gestures and/or facial expressions that
could be reasonably associated with gratitude in a more or less
conventional way. If so, then it *might* (but not necessarily) be
reasonable to encode an emoji to represent that gesture or facial
expression, and expect it then to be associated with gratitude. In other
words, it could then serve as "an emoji for 'thank you'".

I'm not holding my breath, though.

--Ken