Agreement for Paramount

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Tue Nov 30 04:45:07 CST 2021

Forgot to include the list.

From: Peter Constable
Sent: November 29, 2021 11:55 PM
To: Mark E. Shoulson <mark at kli.org>
Subject: RE: Agreement for Paramount

From: Unicore <unicore-bounces at corp.unicode.org<mailto:unicore-bounces at corp.unicode.org>> On Behalf Of Mark E. Shoulson via Unicore
Sent: November 28, 2021 2:29 PM

[snip]

> If Unicode is willing to do the negotiations, why are we still arguing about this?

The Unicode Consortium isn’t prepared to take the lead in establishing engagement from 3rd-party IP holders. That initiative needs to come from the proposers championing the encoding of a given script. With all of the many scripts that are candidates for encoding, Unicode doesn’t have the capacity to take the lead in preparing proposals for individual scripts, or even to take the lead in resolving questions of IP rights in cases in which there are potential concerns. It’s enough for the volunteers (whose time has been donated, in most cases, by their employers) to vet proposals and work through the technical details that often need to be sorted out.

Peter