Unicode.org mail system maintenance

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 19 16:12:02 CDT 2021

On 19 May 2021, at 01:06, Ken Whistler via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> On 5/18/2021 4:20 PM, Michael Everson via Unicode wrote:
>> After decades of stability, this cosmetic change seems to be extraordinarily unfriendly to users.
> First of all, the change is *not* cosmetic.

If you say so.

>> Is there a reason for it,
> Yes. It is very long and very technical, having to do with OAuth 2.0 and its interaction with our mail service, and involves seeking a solution that doesn't end up with Gmail users having mail from unicode.org not being swallowed up and disappeared with no notification.

Well, again, if you say so. I’ve been using the internet and many different kinds of discussion forum mail services for decades and this is the first time I have heard of an organization being forced to change the mailing address in this way.

>> or is it just propaganda underscoring the corporate nature of the Consortium?
>
> The name of the particular subdomain that the mail service is running on predated any of this most recent set of required reconfigurations. The name of that subdomain was deliberately suppressed earlier, to keep the list delivery addresses consistent with earlier practice. That is no longer possible, for the technical reasons cited above.

If you say so. Again, I’ve used lots of mail software and haven’t heard that Gmail has some sort of bug or feature or unintended consequence that forces anybody to change their addresses. Sounds like a problem on the Google side rather than the Unicode side, but of course I couldn’t possibly be right about that.

> Please take your conspiracy mongering elsewhere.

There’s no need to be caustic about it. The new e-mail address isn’t @mail.unicode.org or @lists.unicode.org — it’s @corp.unicode.org, which I’ve never seen before even if it has been suppressed for decades. And it’s not unreasonable for a person to read some sort of meaning into “corp” without thinking it a “conspiracy”.

Michael