Unicode.org mail system maintenance

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Tue May 18 19:06:46 CDT 2021

On 5/18/2021 4:20 PM, Michael Everson via Unicode wrote:
> After decades of stability, this cosmetic change seems to be extraordinarily unfriendly to users.
First of all, the change is *not* cosmetic.

> Is there a reason for it,
Yes. It is very long and very technical, having to do with OAuth 2.0 and
its interaction with our mail service, and involves seeking a solution
that doesn't end up with Gmail users having mail from unicode.org not
being swallowed up and disappeared with no notification.
> or is it just propaganda underscoring the corporate nature of the Consortium?

The name of the particular subdomain that the mail service is running on
predated any of this most recent set of required reconfigurations. The
name of that subdomain was deliberately suppressed earlier, to keep the
list delivery addresses consistent with earlier practice. That is no
longer possible, for the technical reasons cited above. Please take your
conspiracy mongering elsewhere.

--Ken