Abstract emoji

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 26 14:24:55 CST 2021

I have now produced a web page that displays all sixteen of the abstract
emoji thus far included in the Mariposa font.

These sixteen are for personal pronouns.

The font is available from the web, but there is no need to download it
and install it separately in order to view this web page as the web page
picks it up automatically.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/mariposa_glyphs.htm

The glyphs are not encoded in a Private Use Area, but use glyph
substitution from sequences in the Mariposa code space.

The glyphs are designed such that there is a coherent structure to them
so that remembering each of their meanings is simplified.

Hopefully in due course abstract emoji will become acceptable for
encoding into regular Unicode.

There is a feedback note already in place for Unicode Technical
Committee meeting 167.

I have been designing some abstract emoji glyphs to express
relationships, such as father, aunt, sister and so on. I have drafted
designs for 28 abstract emoji for this collection, with glyph
substitution sequences such as %811 %842 and %852 respectively.

I am also designing some abstract emoji for things like 'yes' and 'no'
in green and red respectively.

Traditional pictographic emoji are fine and good when the concept can be
expressed using an image.

Abstract emoji add the ability to express things that cannot be
expressed with a non-abstract image.

All in a language-independent, script independent, form.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/mariposa_novel.htm

Hopefully this progress and discussions that may take place in this
mailing list will help consideration of accepting abstract emoji into
regular Unicode at meeting 167 of The Unicode Technical Committee.

William Overington

Tuesday 26 January 2021