No more RGI flag sequences

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at crissov.de
Sun Feb 7 08:11:37 CST 2021

Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode:

> The reasoning behind that has been at https://www.unicode.org/emoji/proposals.html#Flags (F2) for some time. The feasibility issues behind that reasoning would have to change substantially before FR could be revised.

The only “continental region” with a well -established, copyleft flag is 002, Africa: 🔴⚫️🟢

> Note however that all the subdivision flags remain valid; just not recommended for general interchange.

“just not” means everything here, chicken and egg. We should un-RGI emoji flags for dependent regions (like UM which often uses the same graphic as US).

In conclusion, Whatsapp was right to use private user codes from ISO 3166-1, like XE for England, employing RIS, because there never was a realistic chance that we would get out of two-letter codes any time soon.