Re: Origins of ⌚ U+231A WATCH and ⌛ U+231B HOURGLASS

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Mon Feb 1 14:54:09 CST 2021

Marcel,

Well, having dusted off the archives, I now have the definitive answer
as to the origin story for these two in Unicode 1.0.

In Document UTC/1991-016, dating from January, 1991, there were 19
distinct requests for additions of characters, submitted by Layne Cannon
on behalf of WordPerfect Corporation, for consideration at UTC #44,
February 1, 1991. Number 13 of those requests included a request to
encode "Clock" at U+2677 and "Hourglass" at U+2678. Those two characters
are what ended up encoded as U+231A WATCH and U+231B HOURGLASS.

The justification for them was that they are "Part of the WordPerfect
iconic character set". And indeed, they can be found in the attached
listing of the "WP Symbol Set 5" at 5,31 and 5,32. They are intermixed
there with other characters that ended up in the Zapf dingbats set in
Unicode.

BTW, that same request from WordPerfect was also the origin of U+2319
TURNED NOT SIGN, which was submitted in the same request as "Inverted
begining of line" [sic].

--Ken