Please fix the trademark policy in regards to code

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Thu Oct 1 09:27:11 CDT 2020

References to "unicode" in code and related files and libraries would
generally be considered just a functional "fair use" reference, and
nothing more.  Accordingly, the Unicode Consortium would not take
exception to such a use, nor would it require the use of the trademark
symbol in code, for the reasons you state.  We don't cover this in the
Trademark Usage Policy because it is simply not necessary to do so -
covering every possible manner of fair use reference would make the
policy overly long and complex.

--Ken Whistler, Technical Director, Unicode, Inc.