Security consideration: math symbols in an exotic IP address format in a phishing mail

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed May 20 05:53:54 CDT 2020

MS> I deliberately did not send the complete URI. But I see a problem with
MS> spam filters, because they have to recognize a lot more variants of IP
MS> addresses.

ah.  of course.

looking at the https url with that string as the hostand no local part,
my browsers do choose to block it.  seamonkey says the cert is self
signed and also that it is not for 46.229.224.194.

so at least some platforms/browsers do the right thing.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6