Security consideration: math symbols in an exotic IP address format in a phishing mail

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 09:04:14 CDT 2020

Somewhat relevant, I have previously observed that, if you type/produce a
link of http://www.abc.def/ghi?jk=lm , and then replace symbol characters
in the link with some other confusable symbols, like full width punctuation
and such, that link will still take you to the intended address. Different
browsers accept different characters. Sometimes when such a link format is
being posted onto internet communities that restrict link sharing, such
alternative unicode characters formed links can bypass link restrictions in
those communities and potentially take unsuspecting netizens to harmful
websites.
I don't understand why browsers would normalize links being clicked/typed
in such way which would expose users to such risk.

在 2020年5月17日週日 13:56,Marius Spix via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> 寫道: