Re: [EXTERNAL] Is Devanagari ल्लाँ ambiguous?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:31:31 CDT 2020

The only linguistically valid Sanskrit sequences are nasal-Y/V/L followed
by the same in non-nasal form. This may then be followed by a vowel or
another consonant.

In N Indic scripts the first nasal consonant is written as a half form
carrying a chandrabindu. The rest is as usual.

In S Indic scripts the stack of the consonants carries a chandrabindu on
top. See L2/09-372 p 41.

I would expect to encode this linguistic sequence in either type of script
as:

Y/V/L + VIRAMA + CANDRABINDU + …

This is what I have said in my Grantha proposal but that probably got lost
among so many other issues. I had been meaning to submit a separate doc on
this but haven't been able to get around to it sadly.